the babel machine



 

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

when fred and barney smoked

Once upon a time, people didn't know how dangerous smoking was to their health.

Next month, on Feb. 19, I'll be celebrating two straight years of having quit smoking, cold turkey. I won't lie to you -- sometimes I still miss cigarettes. But I rarely think about them, and I'm just glad I was able to quit. Unlike in the old days, most of us are aware of just how harmful smoking is.

Here's an amusing yet disturbing video clip that's been posted on different sites which you can check out at Metacafe. Here you'll see Fred and Barney pimping Winston cigarettes. This is a Winston commercial from 1961. Winston was the show's sponsor, and as I understand it the Winston commercials and references to the cigarette company were deleted when the show was syndicated.

It's scary to think that a cartoon show for kids was used to peddle ciggies, but The Flintstones was also very popular with adults and those were different times. But how weird is it to hear Barney say it's time for a "Winston break" and Fred mouth the catchphrase: "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should"?

Posted by Joey Alarilla :: 1:04 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------

© the babel machine 2005 - Template by Caz.