the babel machine



 

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

inamo(pi)rata

True, it's hard to resist the lure of piracy, but what does this mistress demand from people in return? Who pays the price?

Most people who have commented on this issue have kept an open mind, discussing the issues soberly and respecting each other's opinion even when espousing opposing views.

Lyndon Gregorio, however, creator of the Beerkada comic strip that appears in The Philippine Star, felt the need to attack me for bringing up the issue and expressing opinions which he doesn't like. I don't mind it if others disagree with me -- I don't delude myself into thinking I'm always right, or dismiss the opinions of others because they don't fit in with my own views. We can all learn a lot from each other.

But to attack a person because you don't agree with him -- well, that's pathetic.

You can read the entire message Lyndon e-mailed me in my @Play column, as well as my reply to him. But here's how he ended his e-mail, which he also made a blog entry.

"Stick to writing, Joey. The entrepreneurial mind never regards the buying public as criminals and terrorist supporters. And as syndicated columnist Dave Barry once said, 'Don't you wish you had a job like mine? All you have to do is think up a certain number of words! Plus, you can repeat words! And they don't even have to be true!'

"And you get paid, whether or not people like me enjoy reading your article/s for free."


Actually, Dave Barry is one of my favorite writers. Too bad Lyndon is reduced to quoting his tongue-in-cheek statements. Hmm, repeating words? You mean like this? Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic.

You can read my reply to Lyndon in my column, plus feedback from UP professor R Feria. After having his reaction published, R Feria e-mailed me to say he was going to post a blog entry about piracy.

Meanwhile, The J Spot also posted an entry discussing my previous column and blog entry about piracy.

Have you blogged about piracy lately, or do you have comments on this issue? Feel free to share your views.

Posted by Joey Alarilla :: 10:11 AM :: 10 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------

© the babel machine 2005 - Template by Caz.